Thanks to those of you who have worked with us closely this year to ease the transition of student employment from Financial Aid to HR. We learned a lot in our first year and have made small adjustments and improvements along the way. We appreciate all your help and feedback as we continue to improve and adapt. In April we held a meeting with a large group of student employee supervisors proposing we eliminate the first-year job assignment policy. This proposal was sent to members of senior staff and approved.
What this changes for hiring departments/supervisors:
- First-Years will no longer be assigned, instead they’ll apply for positions through PeopleSoft before and after they arrive on campus.
- There will be a list in PeopleSoft of First-Year applicants to a specific position.
- You’ll have the opportunity to hire students who have expressed interest in your position.
- First Year Students who are a “low” hiring priority determined by their financial aid status, will not be eligible for hire until mid September.
What responsibilities stay the same for hiring departments/supervisors:
- Continue to hire students (First Years, Transfers, and Returning) in PeopleSoft through Manager Self Service, beginning early August.
- Reference Student Employment Inquiry in PeopleSoft to determine Financial Aid hiring priority.
- Continue to follow all student employment policies.
- Give HR a brief job description (the students will see these when applying), and let us know how many you’re looking for.
- Please do this by filling out this online form instead of emailing us or Candy.
The new PeopleSoft tool will be called Student Employment Applications and it will be under the Manager Self Service menu. This year (2011-12) it is a test pilot program for First-Year Students only; returning students will not be able to access this function. Long term, we hope to come up with a system where all students can apply to jobs that are posted in one centralized location.
We will hold training sessions for supervisors to teach them how to use this new system effectively. We will also have instructions – written and in video format – online for you to reference with particular questions. We expect PeopleSoft to be updated with this feature within a month, and we expect you to be able to review applications in early to mid July.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us with questions on this change, or any other student employment questions you may have.