The Staff Advisory Council (SAC) is looking for three new members this year. We invite you to nominate a colleague or yourself to join this committee of ten staff!
What is the Staff Advisory Council?
- Staff Advisory Council works with Human Resources as a consultative body on issues of importance to staff. The Council discusses and provides feedback on institutional policies and practices, and broader issues related to numerous work/life topics.
- SAC is made up of an equal number of administrative (exempt) and support (non-exempt) staff representing a diverse cross-section of jobs, departments, and experiences on campus.
- SAC members are asked to serve a three year term.
- Meetings are once a month during the academic year.
- See http://hr.williams.edu/staff-advisory-council/ for minutes of meetings and a list of current committee members.
What is the role of a SAC member?
- The role of an SAC member is one of collaboration and communication with the Office of Human Resources; be the “feet on the street” to find out what matters to staff.
- Serve as institutional ambassadors and to look for ways to enhance Williams’ work-life experience for all staff.
- Review existing and initiate new campus policies and programs.
- Have a voice on non-academic issues facing the College taking into consideration the interests and concerns of the entire staff community.
Examples of recent contributions of the committee are:
- recommending accelerating the schedule for support staff vacation time
- a proposal to make changes to the tuition reimbursement policy
- update the bereavement policy
- discussion and recommended modifications to the grievance policy
- review and advise on changes for the recent health care changes
- discussion and recommendation for improvements to Appreciation Day, including separating the event for retirees.
As a member of the Staff Advisory Committee, you will:
- have an opportunity to network with colleagues across Williams,
- contribute to initiatives that will benefit the entire staff community.
How to nominate yourself or someone else
If you wish to nominate someone else, first ask them if they would be interested in joining the committee, and then send a brief description of why you are nominating your colleague to Kevin. If you wish to nominate yourself, please send a brief statement describing why you are interested and how you would contribute to Kevin Thomas, [email protected]. Nominations should be received by September 15. Submissions will be shared with members of the current Council for selection at the September 20 meeting.
We look forward to collaborating on issues important to our work at Williams.
Please note: The Staff Advisory Council should not be confused with the Williams Staff Committee, which brings ideas from the staff to senior administrators (excluding terms and conditions of employment) and identifies ways for staff to engage with each other, students, and faculty in an effort to promote community at Williams. http://committees.williams.edu/other-committees/wsc/