January 10, 2014
The Zilkha Center for Environmental Initiatives is committed to protecting and enhancing the natural and built environment in which we learn, work, and live. The Center is charged with raising campus engagement with local, regional, and global environmental issues; and serving as a knowledgeable resource for college operations. At the core of our approach is the belief that sustainability means meeting the needs of our current generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. The Zilkha Center, together with the Center for Environmental Studies, will soon be housed in a newly renovated and expanded Kellogg House, which is being designed to meet the exacting Living Building Challenge standards.
The college seeks a strategic-thinking, collaborative, and experienced individual to serve as the Director of the Zilkha Center for Environmental Initiatives. Reporting to the Provost, the Director will lead, develop, and oversee a broad-based, multi-disciplinary plan for campus sustainability. Working with staff, faculty, various committees and members of senior leadership, the Director is charged with tracking, and reporting meaningful measures of the institution’s environmental performance; as well as identifying, prioritizing, and planning opportunities to improve sustainability at Williams. In addition, the Director provides administrative and fiscal leadership for the center, and is responsible for management of the Assistant Director, and the Sustainable Food and Agriculture Program Manager.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Support campus offices and departments in their efforts to improve sustainable practices.
- Contribute environmental expertise to college committees.
- Advise on the sustainability implications of capital projects.
- Create, maintain, and publish a “dashboard” of campus sustainability indicators.
- Report performance on greenhouse gas emissions and other established targets.
- Identify, prioritize, and plan initiatives to improve sustainability at Williams.
- Oversee a student intern program.
- Select and hire outside professional services when appropriate.
- Pursue grant funding, rebate programs, and other savings opportunities.
- Collaborate with the Center for Environmental Studies and other academic departments.
- Take full advantage of the educational opportunities provided by Kellogg House.
- Build effective relationships with local and regional environmental leaders.
Bachelor degree in environmental studies or related field, advanced degree preferred. A minimum of five years of professional experience in sustainability required. Experience in managing staff, budget preparation, problem-solving abilities, and statistical/data analysis are essential. The successful candidate will be highly organized, detail oriented, efficient and effective. The ability to negotiate, communicate and collaborate with a variety of individuals and groups, along with excellent oral and written communication skills are paramount. Job Group 2-A. The resume review begins immediately, and will continue until filled. Job #300944-W.
Employment at Williams is contingent on the verification of background information submitted by the applicant, including the completion of a criminal record check, and education when applicable.
Please email a cover letter and resume including job number to [email protected]
or mail to:
Williams College Office of Human Resources
100 Spring Street, Suite 201, Williamstown, MA 01267
Phone: (413) 597-4247 http://hr.williams.edu/
Beyond meeting fully its legal obligations for non-discrimination, Williams College is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn and thrive.