Summer 2023: May 21 through September 2 (please note, the start and end dates may fall in the middle of their respective pay periods)
Summer employment for Williams students is different from academic year student employment in a few ways, most notably the pay schedule, tax implications and no weekly hours limit. However, many aspects of the experience remain the same.
- Academic year positions are inactivated at the end of the semester. Therefore, students must be hired/rehired into summer positions in a department. Academic year positions won’t simply continue.
- Summer programs are designed to be in-person experiences, and with the exception of some internships, students are expected to be on campus for the duration of their programs.
- The college cannot “employ” students to perform work remotely during the summer.
- Students are still required to complete the I-9 Form before they can be hired or receive payment. Contact us if you need to complete the I-9 and have already left campus.
- Employment preference is given to enrolled Williams students, defined as entering first-years and rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
- If you find it necessary to hire a graduating senior, they must be hired as non-student temporary employees and cannot be hired in the same way as enrolled students. Use this form to request that a graduating senior be hired.
- Hiring through Manager Self-Service in the Human Resources System is available for most summer 2023 positions.
Please note that authorization forms may still be required for some positions. They must be submitted by the dates indicated below in order for payment to be generated by the associated pay date (see table below). Authorization forms received after the required date will be processed for the following check issue date.
Change forms to support any adjustments to a student’s job data after they have been hired into a position must also be submitted based on the dates below. Use this link to access the summer change form.
Questions About Summer Student Experiences: please contact [email protected].
Summer 2023 Important Payroll Dates
Summer 2023: May 21 through September 2
(Same pay dates as Support Staff during the summer)
|Authorization and/or Change Forms required by this date|
|Pay period||Deadline for Direct Deposit & Tax Forms||Check issue date|
|N/A||May 7 -May 20||N/A||Fri, May 27|
|Fri, Jun 2||May 21 -Jun 3||Fri, Jun 2||Fri, Jun 9|
|Fri, Jun 16||Jun 4 -June 17||Fri, Jun 16||Fri, Jun 23|
|Fri, Jun 30||Jun 18 -Jul 1||Fri, Jun 30||Fri, Jul 7|
|Fri, Jul 14||Jul 2 -Jul 15||Fri, Jul 14
||Fri, Jul 21|
|Fri, Jul 28||Jul 16 -Jul 29||Fri, Jul 28||Fri, Aug 4|
|Fri, Aug 11||Jul 30 -Aug 12||Fri, Aug 11||Fri, Aug 18|
|Fri, Aug 25||Aug 13 -Aug 26||Fri, Aug 25||Fri, Sep 1|
|Fri, Sep 8||Aug 27 -Sep 9||Fri, Sep 8||Fri, Sep 15|
|N/A||Sep 10 – Sep 23||N/A||Fri, Sep 29|
Note the FY switch – this doesn’t affect paychecks, but it may affect budgets. The first and last pay periods generally do not fall under summer employment dates, but are listed here for reference.
A note about imputed income. Those students who are receiving payment for their summer experience and who receive free housing on campus must be taxed on the value of the campus housing provided by Williams. This is known as imputed income. The daily rate for summer 2023 is $23.65 per day. The value is calculated by multiplying the number of days a student uses campus housing by the daily rate. To ensure you are only taxed on the value of the housing you use, you MUST update your housing dates with the Office of Campus Life prior to any changes in your housing dates and no later than August 18. The value of summer housing on campus will be included in your taxable scholarship that is reported on your 1098T form at the end of the calendar year.
A note about FICA. During the summer, students are subject to FICA withholding. This represents a contribution to Medicare and Social Security. FICA withholding at a rate of 7.65% is in addition to all applicable state and federal tax withholding. International students attending Williams on a F-1 visa are not subject to FICA withholding.