Summer 2022: May 22 through September 3 (please note, the start and end dates may fall in the middle of their respective pay periods)
Summer employment for Williams students is different from academic year student employment in a few ways, most notably the pay schedule, tax implications and no hours limit of 10 per week. However, many aspects of the experience remain the same.
- Academic year positions are inactivated at the end of the semester. Therefore, students must be hired into summer positions in a department. Academic year positions won’t simply continue.
- Summer programs are designed to be in-person experiences, and with the exception of some internships, students are expected to be on campus for the duration of their programs.
- The college cannot “employ” students to perform work remotely during the summer.
- Students are still required to complete the I-9 Form before they can be hired or receive payment. The Department of Homeland Security again requires all I-9s to be completed in person. Contact us if you need to complete the I-9 and have already left campus.
- Employment preference is given to enrolled Williams students, defined as entering first-years and rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
- Hiring through Manager Self-Service in the Human Resources System is available for most summer 2022 positions.
Please note that authorization forms may still be required for some positions. They must be submitted by the dates indicated below in order for payment to be generated by the associated pay date (see table below). Authorization forms received after the required date will be processed for the following check issue date.
Change forms to support any adjustments to a student’s job data after they have been hired into a position must also be submitted based on the dates below.
Questions About Summer Student Experiences: please contact [email protected].
Summer 2022 Important Payroll Dates
Summer 2022: May 22 through September 3
(Same pay dates as Support Staff during the summer)
|Authorization and/or Change Forms required by this date|
|Pay period||Deadline for Direct Deposit & Tax Forms||Check issue date|
|Fri, May 20||May 8 -May 21||Fri, May 20||Fri, May 27|
|Fri, Jun 3||May 22 -Jun 4||Fri, Jun 3||Fri, Jun 10|
|Fri, Jun 17||Jun 5 -June 18||Fri, Jun 17||Fri, Jun 24|
|Fri, Jul 1||Jun 19 -Jul 2||Fri, Jul 1||Fri, Jul 8|
|Fri, Jul 15||Jul 3 -Jul 16||Fri, Jul 15
||Fri, Jul 22|
|Fri, Jul 29||Jul 17 -Jul 30||Fri, Jul 29||Fri, Aug 5|
|Fri, Aug 12||Jul 31 -Aug 13||Fri, Aug 12||Fri, Aug 19|
|Fri, Aug 26||Aug 14 -Aug 27||Fri, Aug 26||Fri, Sep 2|
|Fri, Sep 9||Aug 28 -Sep 10||Fri, Sep 9||Fri, Sep 16|
|N/A||Sep 11 – Sep 24||N/A||Fri, Sep 30|
Note the FY switch – this doesn’t affect paychecks, but it may affect budgets. The first and last pay periods generally do not fall under summer employment dates, but are listed here for reference.
A note about imputed income. Those students who are receiving payment for their summer experience and who reside on campus will have imputed income applied. This means students will be taxed on the value of their campus housing. The value is calculated by multiplying a daily rate by the number of days a student is in campus housing. The daily rate for summer 2022 is $23 per day.
A note about FICA. During the summer, students are subject to FICA withholding. This represents a contribution to Medicare and Social Security. FICA withholding at a rate of 7.65% is in addition to all applicable state and federal tax withholding. International students, attending Williams on a visa, are not subject to FICA withholding.